Friday, August 25, 2006

No Princess for This Queen...

Jason and I can not go out in public without hearing, "So when are you going to try for a girl?"

This.is.an.annoying.question.

Apparently, having all boys somehow means that you are not a full family yet. Well, let me tell you something, I do the laundry and the dishes around here. We are full. No Vacancies left here.

I do realize that there are many things that I will miss out on by not having a daughter. My mother and I have always been very close. I will never be the mother of the bride. I will never go prom dress shopping. I will probably not be in the delivery room when my grandchildren are born (unless of course my daughter in laws are like me and don't care who is in there). I will never get to tell one of my children that their makeup and clothes make them look like a whore and to march upstairs and change...cause if one of the boys has to be told this I will be out cold on the floor.

However, I am so incredibly blessed to be the mom of three boys. I was told by a woman at church that in all her years as a child therapist she has noticed that the really incredible women are the ones entrusted with boys. Do you know how awesome it was to hear her say that? I do feel like God had a distinct purpose in giving me these little men. I view my job as the mother of boys very seriously. My job is to mold these boys into Godly men.

I know that my house will never be spotless. There will be remnants of toy wars always left out for me to step on at midnight in the dark. There will always be bruises. I will always have band-aids and the phone number to the ER on hand. I will always look at my children as though they have come from another planet. I will always have to guard my makeup from becoming warpaint. I will always have to make sure that I buy lots of bleach for all the stains in underwear (hey it had to be said). There will always be wrestling. There will always be spitting and farting. One day...a day far, far away...I will have to watch them enter the world of dating and have their hearts broken. I will have to help them learn about women. And when that day comes I will cry and contemplate locking them away.

I love my boys and can't imagine having any of them as a girl. They fit me and I feel totally equipped to handle them (most days). I am not a perfect mother, there is no such thing. I do know that God is with me and as long as I seek His guidance in raising these boys I will be just fine.

The biggest bonus to having all boys? I will forever be the Queen of this house! No Princesses may enter my abode. Now go clean your room...