Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Mystery of the Chair

Someone peed on my leather chair!

Have your attention?!?

Thursday morning Brodie brought it to my attention that there was something "icky" spilled on the big chair. When I came to investigate the only thing I could think to say was: WHAT THE HELL Oh Dear! It looked like someone had taken watered down orange juice and poured it all over the back and the cushion. I did the most natural thing I can think of, I bent down and smelled it. Yup, urine.

How did this happen? Who did this? Why would you do this?

Judging by the trajectory and spray pattern I deduced that it had to have been a human male that produced the offending mess. I, of course, wanted it to be one of the animals, but it was impossible unless the dogs had taken up Yoga.

I then remember Jason getting up at 3:30 in the morning and walking down the hall. He was only gone for a bit and wasn't chewing when he got back. (He is notorious for getting up in the middle of the night and getting a snack.) I called him at work and asked him if he remembered getting up early that morning. He swore up and down that he did not get up.

AH HA!

HE WAS SLEEPWALKING AND PEED ON THE CHAIR!

Case closed!

Or so I thought!

Friday morning at around 3:30 Jason got up, though this time on purpose, to get ready to leave town. He wanted to get out of town before morning rush hour. He came and woke me up and said, "Brodie was out of bed and in the kitchen. He didn't even look awake. He just smiled at me and I took him back to bed. He never said anything."

Strange.

"He must have been sleepwalking," I replied. I then recall how when he was younger he would get up in the middle of the night and walk around seemingly just for fun.

Jason left the room to continue getting ready. A few minutes later he returned saying, "There is more pee on the chair and I know I didn't do it."

My son, not only sleepwalks, but apparently he marks his territory in his sleep too.