Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Blessing not Curse...


Most of you who know me in real life know that I have ADD. Some of you who didn't might be thinking, "That explains some stuff." I was one of the people with ADD that didn't get the label until later in life. At the age of 24 actually. Since finding out that I actually DID have ADD I have done a TON of reading and research on the subject. I was one of those that used to think that people used ADD as an excuse. My coping skills were always good. I graduated high school with a 3.85 GPA. That alone makes a lot of people think that I can not possibly have ADD. Most people with ADD struggle in conventional schools. I have a few explanations as to why I did so well in high school. First of all, I am an excellent bull-shitter. I didn't have one teacher that I couldn't talk into allowing me extra time to complete something. I was also blessed to go to a school where they stressed teaching instead of stressing passing. My high school teachers knew I was intelligent and I was always highly involved in the classroom. It was that damn homework that threw me. Luckily, I was able to work with teachers and always seemed to wiggle my way out of it. Don't ask me how. I still am not totally sure how I did that.

There are so many misunderstandings in our society about people, especially young boys and adults, that live with ADD. WE ARE NOT LAZY! WE ARE NOT STUPID! Our brains are wired differently from other people's. I wish I had time this morning to elaborate on all I have learned. I will leave you with a few quotes out of a WONDERFUL book called, "Why A.D.H.D. Doesn't Mean Disaster".
"Think of [an ADHD person as] an absentminded professor who can find a cure for cancer but not his glasses in the mess of his desk. These are the inventors, creators, poets-the people who think creative thoughts because they don't think like everyone else."--Martha Denckla, M.D.

"The same right-brained children who are being labeled and shamed in our schools are the very individuals who have the skills necessary to lead us into the 21st century. These children process visually and randomly, and think holistically. They are intuitive problem solvers who get the big picture. They thrive on visual imagery and stimulation; these "attention-deficit" kids can spend hours with computer and CD-ROM programs that mirror their thought processes. It's no wonder they are attracted to computers. The use of computers is congruent with the way right-brained children think."--Jeffrey Freed (This explains my LOVE LOVE UTTER LOVE of all things computers)

"There are many positives with ADD, including a surplus of ideas, creativity, excitement, and interest which accompany this kind of mind." --Sari Solden

"ADD people are high energy and incredibly good brain stormers. They will often happily work 12 to 15 hours by choice. The business community should not fear ADD. Instead, they should see that they have a potential gold mine here."--Dr. Kathleen Nadeau

I wouldn't take back having ADD even if I could. God gave me a "different" perspective on things is all. I see the whole picture where most people only see steps. I see the end when most people see the process. I am intelligent and I am creative. And I was created this way by MY GOD who wants me to use it for something bigger.



There is wonderful speaker by the name Runks. His wife teaches with my mom. He is such a wonderful guy and he embraces ADHD. This is the newest design of shirt on his website. I am ordering one for myself and Jason. LOVE IT!

Go read more posts about ADD awareness!