Monday, August 20, 2007

Give me a C...

I have thought a lot lately about materialism. I mean, let's face it, we live in a material driven society. Society associates the amount of "things" we have with our success and/or wealth. This is total crap of course, because I see "things" for a lot of people equaling mounting credit card debt and heartache. However, I do enjoy the fact that Jason and I have come to a place that even with baby #4 on the way we can buy ourselves nice things on occasion without that overwhelming feeling of, "Should we really have bought that?".

There are three schools of thought on the Coach craze that seems to be everywhere right now (as I see it anyway). School #1: It is a waste of money. School #2: They are nice, but I would never spend that much on a purse. School #3: GIMME GIMME GIMME!

I can say that I have been a proud member of each of the three schools of thought at some point or another. When I first noticed the Coach phenomena I was a single mom of two boys. This was when I was in the first school of thought. For me at the time I saw it as a waste of money. And really at that point it would have been. I also thought that it was just at status symbol and it was just ridiculous to spend that much money on a purse when Target had been supplying me with wonderful purses (that I got a lot of compliments on).

I then moved on to School of Though #2. I wanted one, they were cute, I saw the appeal of them, but no way would I spend that much money on a purse. They couldn't really be THAT much better anyway.

Finally right before Chase was born I joined The third school of thought. I had started to really WANT WANT WANT a Coach purse. Jason decided to get me one for Mother's day and I couldn't have been happier. Let me first say, that there is quality there. I have been carrying that same Coach almost constantly since early May of 2006 and mine still looks brand new. This is with me having three kids and nothing I have looks brand new. Is it a status symbol? Of course, but I don't see it as that big a deal. Everyone has one so they aren't really that special anymore. I still can't explain what it is about those little C's that makes me so happy. Jason just got me a pair of Coach sunglasses too and I love them as much.

Call me a hypocrite, call me sell out, call me Betty for all I care. Just give me a C!