Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Reconnect...

I have been thinking about how honored I am that so many of our family members made the trip down here for Chase's big weekend. It seriously blew me away when I looked down that LOOOOOONG table at lunch on Sunday and realized how many people were sitting there. I had a cousin there who works in Africa and during his few weeks home he chose to come down so my grandmother wouldn't have to drive alone. I had an aunt, uncle and cousin who came from Arkansas. I had not seen my cousin since my wedding. Not to mention all of our family from Lubbock.

Truth be told, I have felt very disconnected from my family for about the last year. Not my parents, but the extended family. Part of it is distance for sure. But, I have lived A LOT farther away before and something has changed. Maybe it is age, or the fact that I have three kids to care for. I am not sure. I feel like everything I know about my family comes from info passed along from my mom. I absolutely HATE that my nephew has no idea who I am. I wish I could go see him more, but I have kids of my own to take care of and I know that my brother and sister-in-law know that. It is just hard to grow apart from people you have always been close to. I know that God placed Jason and I in the Dallas area. We have been confirmed again and again that this is where our family needs to be (for soooo many reasons).

I guess this weekend just reminded me that even though I may not be the one everyone calls, or the one that knows everything, or even the one that knows MOST things...my family still cares and loves me. THAT is what is important. I am going to make it a point to write and call as often as I can. I may be busy, but I don't want to look back in 5 years and realize I have missed everything.